In an article titled "Put Insomnia Concerns to Rest", The National Sleep Foundation reports that six out of ten people have insomnia and sleeping problems a few nights a week. Many suffering from insomnia reach for short-term solutions, such as medications, instead of addressing the issues that may be causing the sleeplessness. As many as 50 percent of people use sleep aids such as sleeping pills. With most sleeping pills, you don't dream, you don't wake up refreshed and you risk becoming dependent. Plus their ability to work wears off over time. Pills allow you to fall asleep only 10 to 15 minutes sooner. They also have side effects such as motor incoordination, cognitive impairment and rebound insomnia. Supplements may perform slightly better than prescription sleep aids, but they may take a few days before they prove effective. Some solutions that may prove helpful are: try to sleep in a cool, quiet, dark room, also avoid caffeine in the evening and get regular exercise. Also try to find the reason for your insomnia. Problems at work, home or school can cause stress which can lead to insomnia.In chapter 4, on page 147, insomnia is discussed. There are many causes of insomnia, both psychological and physiological. Some suggestions in the chapter are to go to bed when you're sleepy, don't watch television or read in bed, keep a regular schedule and don't try too hard to get to sleep. If these ideas don't work, there are sleep clinics and sleep experts who can help.
Dr. Andrew Weils's Self Healing Magazine 2009. "Put Insomnia Concerns to Rest"

I have had insomnia for over 25 years. I have been to several sleep centers and had studies done. They have not found why I don't sleep through the night. I have tried medication, staying up till I am extremely sleepy, having regular bedtimes and wakeup times--even on weekends, dark rooms, no caffeine, but nothing has helped. I feel for people that do not sleep well, can't sleep, sleep off and on. Maybe one day I will sleep without waking up a every half hour to an hour. Until then, I still read about ways to sleep and have faith for there is a reason I am blessed in not sleeping through the night. Thanks for sharing this article.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very inportant issue. My husband couldn't sleep at night and he tend to take aids and sleeping powder to sleep at night. he also wakes up all hours of the night. He just don't sleep well.
ReplyDelete